I never thought I’d be blogging anything about running. I am not a runner. I am not a motivated person when it comes to exercise. However, after doing some stalking of some facebook running pictures, I thought it would be a good idea to do the Couch 2 5K training regimen.
You see, Disney has several runs throughout the year, and I can be easily motivated by Disney. So I set out to get started.
I did go to a local running store to get fitted for some shoes. That’s the only smart thing I did leading up to this.
I did (barely) finish day one of C25K. But not without learning a few things.
So here is a list of things I learned about running in the 30 minute training session.
***Please Note: This is just me being honest. Do not hold this against me:)***
- Watch what you eat before you run. We thought that eating pizza and drinking a gallon of diet coke would be no problem if we waited long enough before running. SOOOO not the case!!! I thought we would be experiencing dinner for a second time on the second lap.
- $50 is NOT too much to spend on a good sports bra. I am a tightwad. I do not spend lots of money on clothes and such, and my shoes were over $100. There was no way I was going to buy a bra for $50…until now. After layering THREE bras, I finally felt comfortable enough to run. But OHMYGOODNESS it was HOT. I will definitely be making the investment next week!
- Compressions shorts are important. We went to Orlando a couple of weekends ago and ended up in the Under Armor Store (hence the $50 bra). I do love a good deal and found some running shorts on clearance for $10 so I bought them. But they also had some compression shorts on the rack. I couldn’t imagine wearing those things in the heat of Florida, so I skimmed by them. They are like Spanx, but only tighter. And thicker. But after making a few rounds on the rack, I thought I would try them for $14. I.AM.SO.GLAD.I.DID! The purpose of those bad boys is to keep my thunder thighs, and the chaffing, in check. SOOOOO worth the $14.
- Dry-Fit Socks. I did not spend $10 a pair on dry fit socks because one would be missing after just one wash. However, there are no bathrooms at the track that are open, so I was so wishing I had them after I had to pop a squat behind the car (remember the gallon of diet coke?)
- I should invest in one of those tight-fitting running tops, even if my six pack of jelly rolls is completely visible to those within a 100 yard radius. Between my three bras and a tshirt, I liketa died of a heat stroke.
I guess it’s good to learn by trial and error, huh? I knew running wouldn’t be easy, but we all enjoyed it as a family last night. I did push Emmy in a non-jogging stroller half way last night, so I think I should get a little extra kudos in the workout department.
On the way home from the track, we started talking about coming up with a family team and supporting a cause in Faith’s honor.
Cade came up with the idea to support a cause that “helps women to not have abortions.” So if anyone knows how that works, we would love to hear from you!!!