Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Things I Learned on My Very First Run

I never thought I’d be blogging anything about running.  I am not a runner.  I am not a motivated person when it comes to exercise.  However, after doing some stalking of some facebook running pictures, I thought it would be a good idea to do the Couch 2 5K training regimen.

You see, Disney has several runs throughout the year, and I can be easily motivated by Disney.  So I set out to get started.

sb shoes

I did go to a local running store to get fitted for some shoes.  That’s the only smart thing I did leading up to this. 

I did (barely) finish day one of C25K.  But not without learning a few things.

sb

So here is a list of things I learned about running in the 30 minute training session. 

***Please Note:  This is just me being honest. Do not hold this against me:)***

  • Watch what you eat before you run.  We thought that eating pizza and drinking a gallon of diet coke would be no problem if we waited long enough before running.  SOOOO not the case!!!  I thought we would be experiencing dinner for a second time on the second lap.
  • $50 is NOT too much to spend on a good sports bra.  I am a tightwad.  I do not spend lots of money on clothes and such, and my shoes were over $100.  There was no way I was going to buy a bra for $50…until now.  After layering THREE bras, I finally felt comfortable enough to run.  But OHMYGOODNESS it was HOT.  I will definitely be making the investment next week!
  • Compressions shorts are important.  We went to Orlando a couple of weekends ago and ended up in the Under Armor Store (hence the $50 bra).  I do love a good deal and found some running shorts on clearance for $10 so I bought them.  But they also had some compression shorts on the rack.  I couldn’t imagine wearing those things in the heat of Florida, so I skimmed by them.  They are like Spanx, but only tighter.  And thicker.  But after making a few rounds on the rack, I thought I would try them for $14.  I.AM.SO.GLAD.I.DID!  The purpose of those bad boys is to keep my thunder thighs, and the chaffing,  in check.  SOOOOO worth the $14.
  • Dry-Fit Socks.  I did not spend $10 a pair on dry fit socks because one would be missing after just one wash.  However, there are no bathrooms at the track that are open, so I was so wishing I had them after I had to pop a squat behind the car (remember the gallon of diet coke?)
  • I should invest in one of those tight-fitting running tops, even if my six pack of jelly rolls is completely visible to those within a 100 yard radius.  Between my three bras and a tshirt, I liketa died of a heat stroke.

I guess it’s good to learn by trial and error, huh?  I knew running wouldn’t be easy, but we all enjoyed it as a family last night.  I did push Emmy in a non-jogging stroller half way last night, so I think I should  get a little extra kudos in the workout department.

On the way home from the track, we started talking about coming up with a family team and supporting a cause in Faith’s honor. 

fam shoes

Cade came up with the idea to support a cause that “helps women to not have abortions.”  So if anyone knows how that works, we would love to hear from you!!!

No comments: