Friday, May 9, 2014

My Last and First Day

Today, I leave a job that has been a huge part of my life for nearly 9 years.  It’s not just any job.  It’s the family business.  I have learned so much, and have had some great memories.  It has been wonderful getting to see my parents every day, and raising two of my children here at the office.  When I first came to work here I had huge aspirations.  I was going to rule the world…at least the world of construction.  There was nothing more empowering than a woman, running a successful business in a man’s world.  I wanted to have it all.  You see, the Lord has tremendously blessed our family through this business.  And I was going to carry on the legacy.

One of the things I accomplished here at O’Steen Brothers was getting my contractor’s license.  I was scared to death of letting my dad down, but by the grace of God I passed with flying colors.  The very first permit I got with my license was for the Extreme Makeover: Home Edition. 

Ty gainesville 2

This was such a fun experience!  We worked through the night.  This picture now sits on my mantle, and SaraGrace has to be reassured that I do NOT have a boyfriend (because that is what Rob tells everyone.)

Not only has this job afforded me great experiences, but it has been such a financial blessing.  I will never have a job making the kind of money or receive the kind of benefits that I have been given here.  Most people would be scared to death to leave a job like this.  But I’m not. 

Because for several years, the Lord has impressed a different calling on my heart.  When I became pregnant with Faith, my perspective changed.  I no longer aspired to make a big paycheck, and to be popular and envied.  I now wanted to make a difference in the world by sharing the Gospel of Jesus Christ anywhere and in any way I could.  I knew He had brought us through so much to allow us to proclaim His goodness to everyone around us.  Through that calling, I have finally had enough faith to step out and pursue a career where my passion and talents collide- student counseling. 

As I begin college classes on Monday at the ripe old age of 35, I find myself experiencing peace again.  The same peace that I had while carrying my dying daughter.  That is because I know that again, I am doing exactly what God has asked me to do.  Will it be easy? NO!  Our family is on the brink of huge changes.  It will require adjustment for all of us.  But I know from experience that once you take that leap of faith, He will carry you through to the end.

I am so thankful for the blessing of my salvation, and my relationship with Jesus Christ.  I am thankful for this passion He has given me and for all of the doors He has opened for me.  Not only career-wise, but in ministry as well.  I have several speaking engagements coming up with my book, and He is blessing the socks off of that project. 

So I as go through this last day here at the office, I realize it is only the first day.  The first day of the rest of my life!  I pray that the legacy I leave behind is one of reaching others with the love of Jesus Christ.  Whatever and wherever that leads, I am ready for the challenge.

Is there something He is asking you to do?  What is holding you back?  I understand the fear factor.  I was slave to that for several years.  But now I have been set free from that with one step of faith.  I want to encourage you to step out.  Do it.  You won’t regret it.

Now that my life is slowing down a bit, I hope to do a better job of keeping up with my blog.  I have a couple of things I am going to be sharing this next week, including how all of these changes came to be.

Thank you all for your continued prayers and encouragement through the many seasons of our lives.  This new season is one I am super excited for!

1 Peter 1:5-9

(NKJV)

5 who are kept by the power of God through faith for salvation ready to be revealed in the last time.  6 In this you greatly rejoice, though now for a little while, if need be, you have been grieved by various trials, 7 that the genuineness of your faith, being much more precious than gold that perishes, though it is tested by fire, may be found to praise, honor, and glory at the revelation of Jesus Christ, 8 whom having not seen you love. Though now you do not see Him, yet believing, you rejoice with joy inexpressible and full of glory, 9 receiving the end of your faith—the salvation of your souls.

No comments: