Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Pee-Can or Pu-Con?

There is an age-old argument, here in the South, over the pronunciation of the infamous PECAN. Me personally, I say pee-can. Either way, these precious little nuts have made their way into our yard and into our kitchen. Actually, they have been in our yard for quite some time, but no one bothered to tell me that!


Rob and I were out in the back yard talking to the owners of the land behind us. Her parents used to live in our house. We started discussing the tree below.



It is in the corner of our backyard, and it's full of nuts! They were all over the ground, and a lot were still on the tree. Cade had a blast picking them up. But Rob had a great time picking on me as I did the following: (WARNING: Don't think I am sick. I actually enjoyed doing it!)


I was the raker. I raked all of the leaves off of the pecans so the boys and SaraGrace could gather the pecans. We gathered a 5 gallon bucket full, with tons still left to be picked.
Rob loves a good pecan pie, so I told him and Jon if they cracked 'em, I'd cook 'em. I called my Aunt Wilma (Wimmy) and got a recipe. Of course I only had 1/3 of the ingredients needed, so I drove to the local grocery store(20 minutes away) and gathered them up. By the time I got back, the boys had cracked and shelled just enough pecans for the pie.

Well, here it is. A promise delivered:

Now, I don't eat pecan pie, but I must say, it was pretty tasty! Rob and Jon sure enjoyed it. They enjoyed it so much, we cracked and shelled more to bake a pie for Bible Study that week. Cade has enjoyed picking up pecans everyday after school. If you have any great recipes that require some pecans, please pass them along!

No comments: