Friday, January 7, 2011

The Ole Gall Bladder

If you know anything about me, you know I have never eaten healthy in my life.  My food preferences include crap, junk, and overly processed fatty and starchy foods.  That being said, I have never had any issues with any of my insides. 

But…..as luck would have it, on Christmas Eve, I started experiencing some pretty nasty pain in my right side, right under my rib cage that went up into my right shoulder.  My sister, being the nurse that she is, looked up the symptoms, and we had all diagnosed it as a gall bladder attack.  Granted, I had just consumed more prime rib and fried shrimp than any small army should be allowed, but what else is new?

My mom asked if I should go to the hospital, but I was not about to ruin Christmas morning for my kids!!!  I went to sleep (if you want to call it that) and still had the pain.  We left to go on vacation, but that sucker bothered me all week.  It would literally take my breath away.  Not to mention the TERRIBLE indigestion I had all week.  But that may have had something to do with the what-should-be-illegal amounts of JUNK we consumed during the week.

When I got back to work on Monday, I got in to see the doctor.  She said it sounded like the gall bladder to her too, but I would need an ultrasound.  When I asked her what the treatment was, she kindly informed me that if there were stones, we would have to take it out.  GREAT NEWS!!!

I went for the ultrasound the next day, and luckily God must have performed a great miracle on my gall bladder, because there wasn’t a thing wrong with it.  I was more than thrilled to learn that indeed my pain was from a torn muscle, which came as a result of my 5 weeks of hacking up my lungs.  I was convinced my gall bladder was messed up due to the one and a half boxes of Sudafed, and the one entire bottle of Benadryl I had used to treat my illness.

In all seriousness, I was indeed so thankful to not have to have surgery this week.  God really took care of that!  What a blessing!!!  In the mean time, I will gladly take my Tylenol, and nurse my poor muscle back to health:)

1 comment:

Carrie said...

Could I just say that the craziest stuff happens to you!!! The most random injuries ;) Glad you didn't have to have surgery.