Friday, September 2, 2011

High Emotion

He came home from school, his arms full of the everyday stuff a third grader would carry. He slapped his papers on the counter and hung his backpack by the door. He found his way to the refuge he calls his room to play videogames until football practice.

The counter in the kitchen had become a home for everything that didn’t belong there. I rushed to clean it off before Rob got home, and started hurriedly going through the stack of papers that seemed to tower over everything else. I came to the stack of school work that he had laid on the counter just moments earlier. As I fumbled through them, checking to see how he is progressing in school so far, I came across the drawing at the bottom of the stack. I couldn’t contain the emotions that began to overwhelm me. How could it be that such a little fellow could have such complex feelings, then put them on paper so beautifully. I knew I couldn’t throw this one away. He had put so much into this simple drawing, and I knew it would be something that we would treasure.

The assignment:

Draw something that brings High Emotion.

The picture:

picture 003

4 comments:

simple.true.love said...

Tears are streaming down my face .... He certainly does take after his momma with his ability to articulate EXACTLY what he is thinking and feeling .... Faith's mission is being shared by one of her BIGGEST supporters!!!! Love YOU!!

Christina said...

Wow! You have been blessed with THREE amazing children! I am so exited to see the plan God has for their little lives unfold!

Sarah St. Onge said...

I have an 8 year old son, and I often wonder what goes on in his little head, regarding Beatrix's passing.

This is breathtaking, heartbreaking, and beautiful.

Kay said...

Boys can be very sensitive. What an amazing guy.